TreeModel garbage iterator accumulation

I'm having a tough time understanding the rational behind the way
TreeModels are forced to deal with iterator garbage accumulation. In the
treemodelcustom example, the solution is to dump all user data into a
container that will get destroyed when the TreeModel goes out of scope.
Since the TreeModels are passed around in shared pointers and made to be
reused/used by multiple treeviews/comboboxes, is this really adequate?
One might as well just let the memory leak if you going to do that. Are
there other solutions I am unaware of? Why not make the destructor of
TreeIter virtual. Maybe add a virtual function that is called when an
iterator is copied as well? I know this would add some overhead, but is
the trade-off worth it to eliminate the garbage problem?
--
        Eddie Carle

        This message has been signed with an RFC4880 signature. It is
        guaranteed to have originated from Eddie Carle and its contents
        can be validated against its signature.