Re: Why we split the include directory to so many sub-directories?

On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 00:05 +1100, Dancefire wrote:
> But there is no ABI-incompatible versions in each installation, right?
> Just like the win32 installer's warning(uninstall previous, overwrite,
> or cancel, if there is an other version exist), if I want to install
> another gtkmm installation in other version in parallel, I will (and
> have to) install them into a different location. For different
> application, I can just point them to different include direction of
> different version of installation. So, there is no need to split
> include directories in a single gtkmm installation, isn't it?

No, it's not that simple.

1. We don't want to depend on you choosing to install things correctly.
It's hard to debug the problems if you get it wrong.
2. You could only choose to install the entire thing in parallel. But
that's no good if just one library has an extra version.

This is not going to change. You should generally avoid ever typing in
these paths yourself. That's just an invitation to human error anyway.

www.openismus.com