Glib::object_freeze_notify()

I am using gtkmm v2.12 in which the configure function is not implemented for Gtk::Adjustment class. Now I am required to do the same by calling the
set_value()
set_lower()
set_upper() and
set_step_increment()
by myself. To avoid multiple signal emissions, it is recommended to use Glib::object_freeze_notify() and Glib::object_thaw_notify() around the above mentioned function calls. I am unable to locate the Glib::object_freeze_notify() and Glib::object_thaw_notify() functions!

The documentation does not contain anything helpful as to the usage of these functions either. Moving to gtkmm v2.14 is not an option for me.

Please help