ComboBox draw point

I am in the process of trying to debug a custom derived TreeModel in a ComboBox and am a little unclear of a few things. For one, does data have to be pushed onto a TreeModel using the provided interface or can I used my own. Two, at what point does a ComboBox actually draw the data into itself? The pack_start()? set_model()? If I push data onto it before/after this point, will that make a difference? For curiosity sake, my problem is that the ComboBox doesn't seem to contain any potential values.
--
Eddie Carle

This message has been signed with an RFC4880 signature. It is guaranteed to have originated from Eddie Carle and its contents can be validated against its signature.