Issue with combobox size

I am generating a dialog with a combo box based on user provided
strings stored in an sqlite3 database.  One issue I am running into is
that when the dialog is generated the combo box is minimally sized to
the largest string causing the dialog box to be at least this long and
preventing the user from 'grabbing' the corner of the dialog box and
shrinking it.  Have I missed some way to automatically ellipsize the
string (or some other setting) allowing the user to shrink the dialog
box?

Thanks in advance, Jason