recompute window size after hiding/removing widget

Hello,
the answer to this question might be very obvious but I cannot find any clue in the (poor) online documentation :

if I remove or hide a widget in the main container of my Gtk::Window,
how can i force the Window size to be recomputed accordingly (e.g. shrinking)

I tried various things such as vBox->set_resize_mode(), vBox->check_resize(), resize_children();, ... but nothing works : the window size keeps the same size and there is either an empty space at the position of the hidden widget or the remaining widgets expand to fill the empty space (according to the packing options when adding the widgets in the container).

Thanks