Re: Gtkmm Windows installers available

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:50:10PM +0200, Armin Burgmeier wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:14 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > > This is meant as: "If you want to build gtkmm with MinGW, then we
> > > recommend using MSYS to do so", since it is in the "Using MinGW"
> > > section. I made it more clear on the Wiki page.

> > > It's a Wiki. Feel free to improve things yourself.

> > > I don't have too much experience with different runtimes, but I
> > > succeeded in building a small example application with Visual Studio
> > > 2008 against the binaries of the installer, which have been built with
> > > Visual Studio 2005. Doesn't this work in general?
> > >
> > > I think the MSVCR80 runtime files are still shipped with Visual Studio
> > > 2008.

> > > If that's indeed a problem, then we probably need to ship separate files
> > > for both Visual Studio 2005 (linked against *80.DLL) and 2008 (linked
> > > against *90.DLL).
> >
> > That does sound necessary. People would otherwise sometimes be forced to
> > link to both, which is probably unpleasant. Can you take care of that,
> > please, Armin?
>
> Yes. We will have to think of a naming convention for those binaries.
> gtkmm-2.4-vc9.dll? (in contrast to gtkmm-2.4.dll for VS 2005, which we
> might then rename to gtkmm-2.4-vc8.dll, possibly breaking compatibility)
>
> But I'm still not 100% convinced. Do other C++ projects that provide
> Windows binaries also ship different DLLs for each Visual Studio
> Version?

A way to solve this problem with different MSVS versions (and service pack)
could be to split the installer in two pieces the C part with GTK+
and the C++ part with GTKmm and create a builder for GTKmm.
In the current situation I use the installer to get an actual GTK+ environment
and build GTKmm self with MSVS and primitive scripts.

Perhaps it's possible to setting up on jhbuild
or writing something like jhbuild.
Is anyone interested in a GTKmm builder?

Regards,
Urs