Qt GTKM war

better here. 8-)
On Wed, 7 May 2008, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:

I, for one, been oscillating between using GTKmm and QT4 for my next pet
project.

After playing with both QT4 and GTKmm for more than a month, I've decided to
use QT4. Maybe try again using GTK/GTKmm in a year.

(I don't want to start a flame war (honest) but feel that my
experience with Qt (and my subsequent conversion to Gtkmm) might serve as
a warning to those who might be thinking of turning to the darkside.)

I've looked in my crystal ball and predict that after a year of using QT
you'll welcome back gtkmm with open arms.

Our company used to use Qt until we all became totally fed up to the back
teeth of its weird inconsistances, loony signal/slot mechanisms, and
staggeringly poor designer. In comparison, gtkmm is a breeze.

Right now, I find the documentation lacking in key areas (for example,
drag&drop in a tree) and I'm tired of waiting for an answer on a mailing
list, answer that might never come, and not in the mood of hacking GTK&GTKmm
sources.

If its support you want, you'll not have any luck with Qt either. The Qt
mailing lists are the same as the Gtkmm ones, if your problem is
interesting, you'll get an answer. Don't be fooled that just because
people pay for Qt and there is a proper company behind it, that you're
going to get any sort of help.

And yes, you *will* have to resort to hacking the Qt code once you've
exhausted all the othe possibilities, and as someone who has done both:
hacking Gtkmm is millions of times easier than hacking Qt.

So by all means give Qt a go, but don't be surprised if you learn (like I
did) that gtkmm beats it into a cocked hat on almost all fronts.

Charlie - Metropolis Data Consultants - 07976 028167 - 01223 763758