Iters with mysql for performance (Was: Using gtkmm and mysql)

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 12:40 +0100, Holger Kubiak wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:35:31AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >
> > libgnomedbmm provides widgets for this kind of thing:
> > http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/libgnomedbmm-3.0/docs/index.html
>
> These classes work fine for my smaller tables.  The bigger ones create
> problemes.  Therefore I have more questions:
>
> 1. With the SQL-Statement
>    SELECT * FROM table LIMIT 100
>    the method Gnome::Gda::Query::set_sql_text of an instance throws
>    the exception "Syntaxfehler nahe LIMIT" (syntax error near LIMIT).
>    My mysql-commandline-client executes the statement.
>    (How) can I use LIMIT?  (I only want to use the provider MySQL.)
>
> 1b. Almost the same problem with REGEXP.
>
> 2. The grid for my table with approximately 300000 entries needs more
>    than 10 minutes to be visible.  (I have killed the programm after
>    10 minutes.)  There must be a better way to show this table.
>    http://www.gnome-db.org/DetailledLibgdaFeatures says "support for
>    specifying how a SELECT query's result set will be accessed (random
>    access or cursor based for large data sets), this feature however
>    is not yet implemented in providers".  I think this could help me.
>    Does anyone know when this feature is implemented in the
>    MySQL-provider?

As far as I know, this is only implemented for PostgreSQL at the moment.

I have CCed gnome-db-list. Maybe someone there can say when the libgda
MySQL provider will support iterator-based GdaDataModels, or how you
might implement that.

Sorry, I also don't have any clue about your SQL syntax error. If
possible, I suggest you file a libgda bug about it, ideally with a C
test case.

www.openismus.com