Re: Embed movie player in a gtkmm application

Paulo Flabiano Smorigo wrote:
Hi everybody,

I saw some posts about create applications to run movies.
What's is the best way to do that? Mplayer, totem, vlc?
Anyone here who asks for help manage to do the work?

mplayer's man page says it is possible to embed mplayer video in another window (using its -wid option) if you can get the window's x window id which is possible in gtkmm by using the GDK_WINDOW_XID <http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdk/2.12/gdk-X-Window-System-Interaction.html#GDK-WINDOW-XID:CAPS> macro on the underlying gobject of the Gdk::Window of the window. gstreamermm also makes it possible to display video in windows (in fact, there's an example media player which shows how to do just that). The problem with gstreamermm is that it gives much more control over what you do with video etc. and for that it is necessary to understand the "pipeline" framework it is based on. If all you need to do is display video the mplayer option, I think, is pretty good. If you anticipate having to "process" your video in some way, then I would recommend that you look at GStreamer and gstreamermm to see if it fits your needs.

--
José Alburquerque