Re: Building of win32 applications

Rob Pearce wrote:
On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Damon Register wrote:
 Though I am not certain, I wonder if
using MinGW might increase the risk of having code that would be Windows
specific while using Cygwin might lead you to code that is more unix
generic.

When I tried to port an app from Linux to Windows, I hit a big problem with g_io_channel handling on a serial port, and ended up having to write (or dig up from a previous Borland project) windows-specific code. I don't think cygwin would fix that, though.

On the other hand, might cygwin produce code that needs lots of cygwin libraries, whereas MinGW produces an application that only needs the GTK windows port?

If I recall correctly, when compiling code in cygwin, unless the switch `-mno-cygwin' is used (with gcc) the binary built will need the cygwin dll (so it can't be run if cygwin is not installed). With the `-mno-cygwin' switch the cygwin dll is not required, but other things may be necessary. Though dated, the following link may be relevant:

http://www.delorie.com/howto/cygwin/mno-cygwin-howto.html