a trylock version of gdk_threads_enter?

I have an issue that needs to be cleared up, I have two threads, a video decoder thread and a user interface thread. The video decoder thread is supposed to render to a gtkglextmm widget. Unfortunately, sometimes the user interface takes too long in doing some operations (reshuffling buttons when I bring new video thumbnails into view, etc.) and the video decoder blocks at gdk_threads_enter for so long that the RTP protocol thread starts dumping packets. The results aren't pretty. If there was a way that I could timeout on the gdk_threads_enter, I would greatly appreciate if somebody would please tell me, because I see nothing in the documentation about it.

Thank you for your assistance,

Rob Stoddard