Displaying a combobox

I have derived a class  from Gtk:VBox, this class packs in a Gtk::Label Gtk::ComboBoxEntryText, get the idea. This saves me the time of creating a new one every time I need one. The combo box will be for data-input / data-output
My problem is that the combo box is displayed to high, hight enough to fit two lines in it!
What can I do to change the dimensions of the combo box?
Is there something like this idea already developed and included in some free library?

Thanks!

--
When in doubt remember that,
"By the Guidance of God, an amateur built The Ark... and that guided by science 'they' built The Titanic!"