Re: gtkmm application redistribution

On 5/8/07, angelo <angelo70 gmail com> wrote:
I've developed a visual application using gtkmm and i would like to
redistribute both the windows and linux packages. I'm looking for some
suggestions on how to prepare the package,  expecially for the linux
distributions. I've tought, if is possible, to link all the libraries
statically, and to prepare some kind of package.run, just for user
facility, but i don't know if it's a good strategy, since i've seen many
time the source distribution (config, automake etc). And anyway, i don't
know how to start so any help/link/documentation on it is really
appreciated.

Note that if you want to link libraries statically, you have to be
very sure that the license allows it.  gtkmm for instance is licensed
as LGPL, which allows non-free software to link it dynamically without
requiring that the source of the application be GPL.  However, I
believe linking statically is not allowed unless the application
itself is licensed under GPL/LGPL.  I'm not a lawyer, so I might be
slightly wrong here, but my point is that static linking of LGPL
libraries introduces some legal issues that you have to make sure that
you can satisfy.

--
jonner