Re: Waiting and Waiting

Am Sonntag, den 28.01.2007, 08:57 -0800 schrieb Jamiil Abduqadir:
> Thanks, in order of appearance, Paul and Murray, for taking the time
> to reply to my message.
> I have resolve the problem and just like Paul says, the problem was
> the path, or in this case the file name; someone had renamed the 'jpg'
> file. However, the resolution has raised a few eye brows and many
> concerns in my case. Let me explain. Every program I have worked on
> depends heavily on the try/catch key statements whence being tested
> and at the early stages of the development. Catching any failure and
> being able to create a report of it, from the end-users, is as
> important as the services the program provides, yet Gtkmm developers
> don't feel that this is the situation, or fail to see its relevance;
> since a method that returns no information about the state before or
> after the its execution; such as 'set_icon_from_file()', has been
> implemented. Thus, I would like to suggest that some sort of value is
> either returned or thrown for as folks to catch and inspect the
> runtime errors.

Ahem.  I just looked at Gtk::Window::set_icon_from_file() and it
definitely does throw a Glib::Error exception on failure.  I don't know
what went wrong for you.

You spout a great deal of sophistication and even accuse the gtkmm
developers of not being on par with the level of sophistication you
expect (quote: "yet Gtkmm developers don't feel that this is the
situation, or fail to see its relevance").  Yet you fail to properly
describe the error you're experiencing, nor do you include any error
output and a simple test case.

So, if we are to help you, it would help a great deal if you stopped
writing long-winded emails about the importance of your work, blah blah
etc, but instead tell us what exactly went wrong and how to reproduce
the problem.  Thank you very much.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh.  No personal offense intended.

--Daniel