Re: Waiting and Waiting

Oops, yes, I see that in 2.4 version the value returned is a boolean, sorry for the mess.

On 1/28/07, Jamiil Abduqadir < jalqadir gmail com> wrote:
Thanks, in order of appearance, Paul and Murray, for taking the time to reply to my message.
I have resolve the problem and just like Paul says, the problem was the path, or in this case the file name; someone had renamed the 'jpg' file. However, the resolution has raised a few eye brows and many concerns in my case. Let me explain. Every program I have worked on depends heavily on the try/catch key statements whence being tested and at the early stages of the development. Catching any failure and being able to create a report of it, from the end-users, is as important as the services the program provides, yet Gtkmm developers don't feel that this is the situation, or fail to see its relevance; since a method that returns no information about the state before or after the its execution; such as 'set_icon_from_file()', has been implemented. Thus, I would like to suggest that some sort of value is either returned or thrown for as folks to catch and inspect the runtime errors.

Please, forgive me if I am wrong or if I have offended you or anyone. It is my hope, though, that developers of this wonderful toolkit will take notice of my ignorance or kin eye, and make the necessary modifications to make it easier for folks like me to program.

Again, thanks for the time and efforts dedicated to my question.

On 1/28/07, Murray Cumming < murrayc murrayc com > wrote:
On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 15:35 -0600, Paul Davis wrote:

> Generally, you don't get a copy of your own emails. There's a
> preference that determines in your account setup.
>
> >Hi!
> >Before I go any further you should know that I am developing under
> MSW-XP and >G++ 3.4.2
> >Now, to the problem. I am using 'this->set_icon_from_file(
> "icons/pinguin.jpg" );' >to add an icon to my app; the program
> compiles without any errors but, for some >reason, the application
> crashes at start up. What am I doing wrong and how can I >solve this
> issue.
>
> Generally including error messages and/or sample code with your
> questions help in determing the root cause of the problem.  But from
> what you've mentioned, my best guess is that the Gtk::TreeView widget
> doesn't support the north bridge chipset on this particular mother
> board. Bummer.

Paul, this is an attempt at humour, I think, but it just ends up being
confusing and misleading.

> But really, the obvious problem is that the path 'icons/pinguin.jpg'
> at compile time doesn't exist at runtime. That or you have a
> completely unrelated problem. Its hard to say.

In general, a crash should be investigated with a debugger, such as gdb.
valgrind is also very useful.

www.openismus.com