Re: API proposal: Glib::compose()

Daniel Elstner <daniel kitta googlemail com> writes:

> Ah yes.  This looks pretty cool.  It supports conversion of arbitrary
> types to strings by going through an std::wostringstream internally.
> We'd have to investigate whether that is available on all our target
> platforms.  Apart from the support for arbitrary types, the API is
> identical to mine (probably because I unconsciously plagiarized his
> interface).

I originally intended the functions to go into Glibmm because
something like this is absolutely necessary for i18n. So feel free to
copy whatever you want. :-)

One gotcha is the use of std::wostringstream instead of
std::ostringstream - the wide version is needed because some
characters might otherwise be truncated, e.g. thousands separator
characters in some languages. I learned this the hard way.

--
Ole Laursen
http://people.iola.dk/olau/