Adding custom GDK events

Hello,

I need to be able to send special events to the GTK event-processing
loop. Looking at the GDKEvent union, it seems the way to add my own
events is to subclass GdkEventAny. The question is, what would go in
the type field? I see no support for user types, and it's not
documented what the main loop does with events of an unknown type.

Is it safe to just randomly use types as long as they're not already in use?
Is there an easier way to submit events to the main loop, a-la Qt's
QApplication::postEvent?

Thanks.