Re: Initial position of windows

On 12/18/07, Bruce Sherwood <Bruce_Sherwood ncsu edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the help; that indeed works. In retrospect, I see I was (am)
> suffering from information overload....
>
> Perhaps you can educate me about the following related issues. If I
> show_all, then move, it all works fine (there's presumably the risk of a
> flash, though I haven't seen it). If on the other hand I move, then
> show_all, two strange/bad things happen: 1) Trying to move to (0,0)
> gives a random placement; I have to move to (1,0) or (0,1) or (1,1) to
> get near the northwest corner.

Like Joaquim said, the window manager is also involved here, so it's
very possible that the behaviour could be different with different
window managers.

> 2) If I run an extended desktop with two
> physical displays, the window flashes briefly and then disappears
> (behavior is normal if I show_all before the move). I guess I can live
> with show_all before move, but this behavior does seem strange.

I don't have multiple displays so I'm afraid I can't be of much help here.

> Somewhere I thought I read that one should explicitly set_position
> before doing the move, so I tried this:
>
> Gtk::WindowPosition initpos = WIN_POS_NONE;
> window->set_position(initpos);
> window->move(x,y);
>
> But this and variants give me compilation errors.on the first statement
> (no such thing as WIN_POS_NONE, etc.). It seems likely that I'm confused
> in the multiple layers of gtkmm vs gtk+....??

unless you have a "using namespace Gtk;" statement somewhere, that
will need to be Gtk::WIN_POS_NONE (which is really just a namespaced
version of the GTK+ enum value GTK_WIN_POS_NONE)

--
jonner