TreeView / Update TreeStore / Signalling View

Hi,
I've implemented a TreeView based on the TreeStore model. Each data object
can be identified distinctly and the representation is done by the
corresponding renderers.  The objects managed by the TreeStore are
modified frequently by external services. Theses changes should be
visualized by the view to inform the user about the updates.

a) Is there a posibility to signal the view that one ore more cell records
have changed? I didn't find callbacks in Gtk::TreeViewColumn::Column -
maby this is the wrong way?

b) How can I quickly search the objects in the TreeStore or should the
references to the colums be stored in an external sorted pointer array?

ThanX
/franzR