Re: New compose and format API

Daniel Elstner <daniel kitta googlemail com> writes:

> Done.  The API now looks like this:
>
>   s = ustring::compose("%1 is lower than %2.",
>                        12, ustring::format(std::hex, 16));

I just want to add that I think it's cool. One problem with my library
is that you actually quite often need a itoa like function. I played
for a while with a design for a more complete iostream-like
replacement that would split out the object-to-string conversion from
the interfacing-with-files-or-other-stuff part but never got far. IMHO
iostreams is just about the worst part of the C++ standard library,
considering today's requirements. I hope someone in the Boost
community will one day work on this.

Anyway, I'm happy this is going to be available for all gtkmm users
effortlessly. I'll update my home page with a notice and deprecate the
library once your code is out.

--
Ole Laursen
http://people.iola.dk/olau/