Render Text to Pixbuf

Hey,

I'm working on trying to render text to a image that eventually gets
painted on screen. Basically all I have access to is a Gdk::Pixbuf
which I edit directly when I'm trying to do the text rendering.

So I've got two questions:

Is there a simple solution to just render some text to a pixbuf?

And if not, is there a simple way to have access to pixel data from
something like a pixmap?  I'm not well schooled in the ways of the
XServer with server side vs client side images so I could be asking
for mutually exclusive things here.

Any ideas are welcome cause I'm rather at a loss as to how to do this correctly.

Thanks,
Paul Davis