Changing background colors on Gtk::ToolItems

Hi,

I'm trying to create a tool bar where the ToolButtons are used to control
Simulation Modes (Operate, Reset, Trim, etc.).  To emphasize what mode has
been selected, I want to change the background color of the ToolButton.
Since the ToolButton is a Gtk::Widget I set up a new Gtk::Style with the
colors I wanted and when the mode is selected I set the style to the color
style.

tool_button->set_style(color_style);

However, the color never gets changed on the display.  This approach does
work for Gtk:Button though.

Is there any way to make this work that I haven't found yet?

Thanks
Jim