Re: Threading Problem

Chris Vine wrote:
On Saturday 23 September 2006 12:24, Pavel Rojtberg wrote:
Since I could not find any gtkmm threading tutorial that covers glib
threads with use of gtkmm, I relied on the pygtk documentation:
http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=show&file=faq20.001.htp

I used Glib::thread_init() instead of gobject.threads_init(), but could
not find any equivalent for gobject.idle_add(), so perhaps that is where
my problems originate from.

Anyway the problem is that sometimes the interface just stops being
updated while still emmiting events, so I can use the close button.

You cannot access GTK+ in more than one thread without using the global GDK lock (and you cannot do it all, with or without the GDK lock, under windows).

This explains how GTK+ interacts with glib threads:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Threads.html

To post events using gtkmm, see Glib::Dispatcher. You can also use the raw C function g_idle_add() if you wish, but this is not wrapped in glibmm (presumably because glibmm provides Glib::Dispatcher, which glib does not). Either of these will execute the callback in the thread in which the main program loop (and by default GTK+) execute, so avoiding the need to use the GDK global lock. If you use g_idle_add(), make sure the handler returns FALSE so that it only fires once.

Chris
thanks for your reply. meanwhile I asked on the IRC and came out with the Glib::signal_idle().connect(), which is as far as I can see the equivalent of g_idle_add().

But while trying to use it I noticed that sigc++ does not work with Glib::RefPtr - I just could not bind Gtk::TextBuffer::insert without a wrapper function...

Anyway which implementation would hou consider as the cleaner one signal_idle or dispatcher?

Pavel