Re: Licensing question.

> Hi gtkmm users,
>
> We created a proprietary application with using GTKMM. I was asked to
> find out about all licenses under which GTKMM used libraries coming. I
> have shown the link on the license page of GTKMM:
> http://www.gtkmm.org/license.shtml They said that I should find out
> about each licnese using by the gtkmm. I'm not a lawyer, but I dont
> think that GTKMM can allow to not release the source code when other
> libraries, which are used by the GTKMM, require to open the source
> code.
> Please, give me an explanation. There are several libraries coming
> with the GTKMM:
> gtkmm-2.4 gdkmm-2.4 atkmm-1.6 gtk-x11-2.0 pangomm-1.4 glibmm-2.4

These are all part of glibmm and gtkmm, and are LGPL.

> sigc-2.0

LGPL

> gdk-x11-2.0 atk-1.0 gdk_pixbuf-2.0 pangoxft-1.0 pangox-1.0
> pango-1.0 gobject-2.0 gmodule-2.0 glib-2.0

LGPL

> This list is taken from list that appearing when you type "pkg-config
> --libs gtkmm-2.4". Should I check the license for each library of this
> list, for release code requirement?
>
> Please help me who knows this subject.

The LGPL (as opposed to the GPL) is meant to allow you to link dynamically
to the library without requiring you to release your source code. However,
if you built your own version of gtkmm, with changes to gtkmm, then you
would have to release your changes to gtkmm. The GPL would require you to
release your application source code, but we don't use that.

It's up to you. You can trust us or find a lawyer who understand this, and
trust him.

www.openismus.com