Re: Find out if a widget or window is actually visible?

Does Gtkmm/Gdkmm offer a nice and simple way to find out if a widget or
window is actually visible to the user, i.e. is mapped *and not obscured
by another window*? I mean, .e.g Gdk::Window::is_viewable () and
Gdk::Window::is_visible ()/Gtk::Widget::is_visible() will answer only
first half of that question, I believe, i.e. they will tell me whether
the window/widget is mapped, but not check if it is covered by something
else.

- Toralf

Hi,

I am not sure if it about GTKmm at all. The system manages windows that represent a space for different applications. Each application can be written using it's own GUI framework: GTKmm, Qt, Tkinter, and so on. Thus maybe your question should be addressed to a "guy" that is responsible for sending a sort of "REDRAW_WINDOW" signal whenever it is needed and a part of window becomes visible. I guess that should be some kind of System GUI Manager that is definitely different in Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, etc. Therefor the "guy" you are looking is System.
No, I don't think so. By that argument, Gdk::Window should never be used. Or even be there in the first place. No, wait, you can make that all of Gdk. And add the event handling infrastructure in Gtk. 'Cause the job is done by the back-end GUI libs or windowing system, really... But isn't one of the prime features of Gtk actually that it allows you to interact with windows without having to worry about system details or platform differences? It's a cross-platform toolkit, you see...

- Toralf