Glib::IOChannel & displaying data

hi,

after some time I had just a look on an older gtkmm-program
that I used at some stage to display data.
The idea was to use a Glib::IOChannel to transfer a certain
filename to the gtkmm-application which uses this information
to read the data and displays them in a GTK::drawingarea field.
After doing this once, it happens  to me that the CPU-load is
increasing to about 98% (and stays there!),
and I am wondering which process  in the background causes that.
Probably, it is somehow due to a  wrong method of redisplaying data or
on the way how to hear on the Glib::IOChannel.
Is there somebody who experienced the same effect?
I would be happy for every help concerning the proper implementation
for continuously displaying images in the same window.

Thanks a lot
Andreas