Re: custom treemodel?

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 17:59 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 10:41 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > the one thing that is a little unfortunate about a custom treemodel
> > based on Gtk/Glib objects is that if you are strict about
> > Model/View/Controller programming to the extent that you do not allow
> > your Model implementation to use View-related code (e.g GTK), its not
> > possible to use the treemodel for your Model data stores.
>
> Do you have any practical reason for not wanting to use GTK+ in your
> "model"? There's no part of the MVC model, as its commonly understood
> that says "Your model may not depend on libraries that contain other
> code that may be used to implement GUIs".
>
> You might want this kind of model to provide different GUI
> implementations on different platforms, but I think that would be a
> different problem.

libardour is the backend to multiple UIs (not all of them graphical). it
is not allowed to have a dependency on the code used by any particular
UI implementation. i.e. its not OK for the curses implementation to have
to link against GTK, or vice versa.

at some point, we hope to do complete process separation, actually (so
that the code in libardour runs in a completely non-graphical process).
but thats a digression.

--p