Re: Use of any interface designer - is it worthy?

John Spray wrote:

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 04:06 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
I tend to consider most of my creations less than visually stunning.

Perhaps there's a correlation -- when you're doing your interface code
by hand getting things like spacing and borders right can seem more
trouble than it's worth, and it may never get done.
I do this sort of stuff in Glade. Its great for trying lots of different arrangements and getting paddings and margins down. I just don't use the generated XML interface.

Its not the spacing and coding things that gets me with interfaces. I have pretty good command over layouts and do fairly well with making it look like what I want. I just don't have the interface design talent.

So while my stuff doesn't look bad cause its all shoved into a container haphazardly, its not something thats going to ever win the next design award, or become the next "Obviously intuitive extension to current interfaces" ie Expose or that cool iPod interface thing.

Then we come to the question of whether having a pretty interface is
worthwhile, of course.  I must confess to living my life strictly by the
holy Gnome HIG.

Gnome HIG?

Anyway, I use glade for everything except one small project.  On that
project, I really regretted not using it.

Then again, had I started off with the XML interfaces, I might not have ever gotten into coding my own interfaces. I started out with Gtk-- generated code and worked with that for a long time. Then figured out it wasn't as good as I needed, so I started writing my own. I spent a brief time working with XML files, but I found that keeping external dependancies for my binaries to be a bit of an annoyance. And in all reality, after you go through all the code to get widgets out of the xml file and connect signals, you might as well code your own.

John