Signals in threads

Hi,
I need to emit certain signals inside a running Glib::Thread in order to relay some information to the rest of my app. However, from what I know, I don't believe that it is really safe to emit such signals that are connected to a Gtk::Window, which in turn will call some GUI functions, directly from inside threads. Someone mentioned something about Glib::Dispatcher to me, but I'm not quite sure if that's what's needed to accomplish my task. In any case, how would I go about doing something like this?

Thanks in advance.