Re: Website update?

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 11:23 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon jongsma gmail com> wrote:
> > Well, I've finally gotten around to doing an implementation of a new
> > website for gtkmm.  For the most part, the content has not been
> > changed (there were a few things that I added and a few things that I
> > shuffled around, but nothing too significant).  So it's essentially
> > just a facelift.
>
> Since I've only gotten minor suggestions and positive comments, should
> I assume that the general design is acceptable to everybody?  I'd like
> to move forward on getting a new site pushed out soon if possible.  If
> anybody has any serious problems with the proposal, speak up soon.
> Feel free to be critical of the design if you have concerns about it,
> but try to limit your criticisms to the design and organization of the
> proposal and not the content of the website.  After a new design is
> implemented, we can try to tackle updating the content if necessary.
> Murray, I'd also really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions as
> the maintainer of gtkmm.

Sorry, it was on my todo list.

> The new site is located here:
> http://jonathon.quotidian.org/gtkmm.org/index.shtml
> (be gentle with the server, though.  It's only served on a DSL line
> for now)

It looks generally more up-to-date, though not radically cool.

Some minor points:
0. ", and more" is superfluous necessary in the title.
1. I'd prefer to see "gtkmm" in the title rather than the domain name.
2. We don't need the "What is gtkmm?" title, though that text block is
good.
3. The "Other Resources" title is odd, because I didn't at first see
that the "main" menu items are in a horizontal list at the top. I'm
quite sure that this will lead to people not finding stuff. I like the
idea of making some links obvious (their text could be bigger), but I
don't have a good idea for where to put the secondary stuff.
4. On the other pages (not the first page), the page looks rather plain
- both the left and right hand sides are just black on a white
background. But I don't like the thin lines that we have on the current
site.

I think we need to fix 3 and 4 before making this live.

Many thanks for pushing this.

www.openismus.com