rubberband select

Hi,

I'm just starting to use gtkmm-2.4 (that's the name of the package on
my system) and to me, it is worth great praise. I love the sigc++
action. I've spent a few hours becoming proficient with the treeview
widget and related syntax, but when it comes to drawing area, I'm
stumped.

I want to have rectangle shaped elements in the drawing area which
hold pictures, and I want to be able to select some with good old
rubberband select or drag individual rectangles around (even into
other widgets).

I *will* eventually struggle and finish this with gtkmm, but I would
like a few ideas and pointers that will make my life easier and more
fun.

Thank you
--Nurettin