Re: DLLs in c:\windows\system32

Cedric Gustin wrote:
Yes, there is a solution. Your application installer should lookup the
location of GTK+ and gtkmm (say C:\GTK) from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\gtkmm\2.4\Path and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GTK\2.0\Path (or DllPath) and create a new
registry entry called DllPath in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\TheNameOfYourExeFile.exe. This DllPath should be a list with the
runtime directories for both gtkmm and GTK+ (in this example
C:\GTK+\bin). This way, TheNameOfYourExeFile.exe will first look in
C:\GTK+\bin when loading the GTK+ and gtkmm DLLs, thus bypassing the
directory list stored in the PATH environment variable.

It sounds nice, but it didn't work. My computer still looked for the DLLs in system32. Maybe I did something wrong. However, I think I now have a solution which has a greater chance to work on all computers.

Timon Christl wrote:
> Since I already had an installer for Sharpconstruct, I just added a
> few commands to copy iconv.dll, intl.dll, xmlparse.dll, xmltok.dll
> from the GTK installation dir to the application dir during
> installation (These four are the most notorious ones that I found, but
> there could be others).

I tried this before, only then I got some strange Pango error. But after I read your message I'd get a great idea. I installed the gtkmm runtime environment and I copied the files of my app to the bin directory. Then I renamed every file to see if my app worked without it. If it did I removed the file, if it didn't I renamed it back. Then I put all the files in a rar file. (I don't like installers). Now I'm waiting for response of my users.