Re: MDI, is it possible???

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:50 +0100, Sean Farrell wrote:
> Ok I get your problem...
>
> If you use glade you might be lost... or not.
>
> What you can do is: make a window and embed your "root" widget. Tell glade to make a seperate class and then export all to code. At this point you throw away your root window and only use the widget by instanciating as many objects as you want.
>
> I personally build my widgets by hand... It isen't that hard and you can fine tune it quite well. But on the other hand, I am in a situation where I can't use glade anyway. I am writing a few small visualisation apps that use gtkglextmm and that dosen't play with glade.

the deeper response is this:

MDI (in the sense of an app creating all of its "windows" inside its
"master window") has always been frowned upon by everyone in the *nix
community.
And in the last 5 years, it has been deprecated even within microsoft,
whose new versions no longer do MDI but either used tabbed notebooks or
separate windows.

reconsider whatever makes you think MDI is a good thing. and then move
on.

--p