Help with Gtk::MessageDialog

I have writen a class that derives from 'Gtk::MessageDialog', everything works fine with the exception of a non-responsive OK button. I realize that the button is not responsive because it has no function connected to the signal signal connected to it. Now, I cannot write a signal and hook it to a function because I don't know the variable name instantiated with the button, [it is hidden from the user... major mistake from the side of the developer], right now all I can do to close the dialog box is to click on the X at the to right corner, can someone please tell me what I should do to make the dialog box close after after clincking on the button?

Thanks in advance