Fwd: Re: Packaing and deployment of a gtkmm/cygwin app

Sorry guys, forgot to CC it to the list

 Note: forwarded message attached.

Log on to Messenger with your mobile phone!
http://sg.messenger.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
--- Vladislav Grinchenko <3rdshift comcast net> wrote:
> I ported one of my gtkmm apps to cygwin with gtkmm.
> My goal is to
> assemble an installer or a zip archive for the end
> user to be able to
> install and run the app on his/her machine.
>
> The app uses POSIX functions and has to be built
> with cygwin dll (thus I
> cannot use
> http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports)

I'm not sure about this, but I think that you can link
cygwin object files with MinGW object files. If so,
you can get Mr Gustin's installers and just compile
the specific source files with the POSIX functions
using cygwin, and link them to the MinGW gtkmm libs.
Or you could wrap all your POSIX functions into other
functions and have their definitions put into a file
that will be compiled by cygwin.

> According to Robert's <morelli cs utah edu> posting
> on 10 Mar 2004, my
> case is what he categorized as #1 scenario:
>
> "1.  The cygwin development environment which
> resembles a unix
> environment in which you compile code containing
> POSIX calls and which
> produces executables depending on cywin.dll for
> POSIX emulation."
>
> The way I built it is this:
>
> - I ran cygwin installer and in sntalled the minimum
> configuration plus
> development packages for gcc, gtk+, and autotools.
>
> - Then I re-ran cygwin installer adding
> http://cygwin-ports.sf.net/install target to the
> list and picked up all
> of the gtkmm packages.
>
> - Configured and compiled my app and installed it to
> prefix=/usr/local
>
> There are two problems I'm struggling with right
> now:
>
> 1. It seems that resultant foobar.exe won't run
> without having X server
> up and running. Yet it seems that demo apps from
> GTK+ runtime env don't
> have this requirement and doesn't come with X server
> bundled. Am I
> missing a compiler flag or something? Many posts to
> this list assume
> '-mno-cygwin'. I cannot make such an assumption
> 'cause I need POSIX
> functinality.
>
> 2. Given that #1 is resolved, how would I package my
> binaries?
>
> Here's what I have already tried:
>
> - I downloaded Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment
> Installer from
> gladewin32.sf.net and installed it to c:\GTK
>
> - Then the popular suggestion for gtkmm/cygwin seems
> to be getting gtkmm
> binary packages from http://cygwin-ports.sf.net.
> They come in .tar.bz2 files and GTK+ RTE doens't
> have tar/bunzip2. I
> tried to unpack and drop them into c:\GTK.
> And then drop my app's exec/pixmaps/config files to
> c:\GTK as well. At
> this point, should I try to start foobar.exe and
> keep adding all missing
> dlls to c:\GTK\bin?
>
> Scanning throught the mailing list archives, I came
> upon these
> suggestions:
>
> >From Cedric Gustin posting on Sun, 4 Jan 2004,
>
> "Your gtkmm application will require both the gtkmm
> and GTK+ runtimes.
> For gtkmm, this is basically the glibmm, pangomm,
> atkmm, gdkmm and gtkmm
> DLLs."
>
> I'm new to win32/cygwin world, and any
> suggestions/pointers to the
> actial apps would be highly appreciated.
>
> -- Vlad

> Vladislav Grinchenko
> http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/
>                                  e-mail:
> 3rdshift comcast net
>
>       Focus on quality, and productivity will
> follow.

You do not need the X Windows System if you use the
Win32 ports of GTK+ from
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html or
for precompiled binaries: gladewin32.sf.net. I haven't
managed to check out the files that you got, but I
will do so soon, once I can find a quiet time to avoid
my school work.