Re: Fwd: Re: Packaing and deployment of a gtkmm/cygwin app

 --- Benjamin Lau Wei Yii <blwy10 yahoo com sg> wrote:

> Sorry guys, forgot to CC it to the list
>
>  Note: forwarded message attached.

> Log on to Messenger with your mobile phone!
> http://sg.messenger.yahoo.com> Date: Mon, 2 May 2005
09:42:58 +0800 (CST)
> [...]
> minimum
> > configuration plus
> > development packages for gcc, gtk+, and autotools.
> >
> > - Then I re-ran cygwin installer adding
> > http://cygwin-ports.sf.net/install target to the
> > list and picked up all
> > of the gtkmm packages.
> >
> > - Configured and compiled my app and installed it
> > prefix=/usr/local
> >
> > There are two problems I'm struggling with right
> > now:
> >
> > 1. It seems that resultant foobar.exe won't run
> > without having X server
> > up and running. Yet it seems that demo apps from
> > GTK+ runtime env don't
> > have this requirement and doesn't come with X
> server
> > bundled. Am I
> > missing a compiler flag or something? Many posts
> > this list assume
> > '-mno-cygwin'. I cannot make such an assumption
> > 'cause I need POSIX
> > functinality.
> >
> > 2. Given that #1 is resolved, how would I package
> my
> > binaries?
> >
> > Here's what I have already tried:
> >
> > - I downloaded Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment
> > Installer from
> > gladewin32.sf.net and installed it to c:\GTK
> >
> > - Then the popular suggestion for gtkmm/cygwin
> seems
> > to be getting gtkmm
> > binary packages from http://cygwin-ports.sf.net.
> > They come in .tar.bz2 files and GTK+ RTE doens't
> > have tar/bunzip2. I
> > tried to unpack and drop them into c:\GTK.
> > And then drop my app's exec/pixmaps/config files
> > c:\GTK as well. At
> > this point, should I try to start foobar.exe and
> > keep adding all missing
> > dlls to c:\GTK\bin?
> >
> > Scanning throught the mailing list archives, I
> came
> > upon these
> > suggestions:
> >
> > >From Cedric Gustin posting on Sun, 4 Jan 2004,
> >
> > "Your gtkmm application will require both the
> gtkmm
> > and GTK+ runtimes.
> > For gtkmm, this is basically the glibmm, pangomm,
> > atkmm, gdkmm and gtkmm
> > DLLs."
> >
> > I'm new to win32/cygwin world, and any
> > suggestions/pointers to the
> > actial apps would be highly appreciated.
> >
> > -- Vlad

> > Vladislav Grinchenko
> > http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/
> >                                  e-mail:
> > 3rdshift comcast net
> >

> >       Focus on quality, and productivity will
> > follow.

> You do not need the X Windows System if you use the
> Win32 ports of GTK+ from
> http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
> or
> for precompiled binaries: gladewin32.sf.net. I
> haven't
> managed to check out the files that you got, but I
> will do so soon, once I can find a quiet time to

Upon further inspection of the packages from
cygwin-port, it seems that GDK has a gdkx.h, which
means that it uses the X Windows System. I don't
really know whether you really need to use X Windows
or not, but my guess is no. The Win32 ports from Tor
use gdkwin32.h instead, so those are 100% free of X dependencies.