Packaing and deployment of a gtkmm/cygwin app

I ported one of my gtkmm apps to cygwin with gtkmm. My goal is to
assemble an installer or a zip archive for the end user to be able to
install and run the app on his/her machine.

The app uses POSIX functions and has to be built with cygwin dll (thus I
cannot use http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports)

According to Robert's <morelli cs utah edu> posting on 10 Mar 2004, my
case is what he categorized as #1 scenario:

"1.  The cygwin development environment which resembles a unix
environment in which you compile code containing POSIX calls and which
produces executables depending on cywin.dll for POSIX emulation."

The way I built it is this:

- I ran cygwin installer and in sntalled the minimum configuration plus
development packages for gcc, gtk+, and autotools.

- Then I re-ran cygwin installer adding
http://cygwin-ports.sf.net/install target to the list and picked up all
of the gtkmm packages.

- Configured and compiled my app and installed it to prefix=/usr/local

There are two problems I'm struggling with right now:

1. It seems that resultant foobar.exe won't run without having X server
up and running. Yet it seems that demo apps from GTK+ runtime env don't
have this requirement and doesn't come with X server bundled. Am I
missing a compiler flag or something? Many posts to this list assume
'-mno-cygwin'. I cannot make such an assumption 'cause I need POSIX
functinality.

2. Given that #1 is resolved, how would I package my binaries?

Here's what I have already tried:

- I downloaded Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment Installer from
gladewin32.sf.net and installed it to c:\GTK

- Then the popular suggestion for gtkmm/cygwin seems to be getting gtkmm
binary packages from http://cygwin-ports.sf.net.
They come in .tar.bz2 files and GTK+ RTE doens't have tar/bunzip2. I
tried to unpack and drop them into c:\GTK.
And then drop my app's exec/pixmaps/config files to c:\GTK as well. At
this point, should I try to start foobar.exe and keep adding all missing
dlls to c:\GTK\bin?

Scanning throught the mailing list archives, I came upon these
suggestions:

>From Cedric Gustin posting on Sun, 4 Jan 2004,

"Your gtkmm application will require both the gtkmm and GTK+ runtimes.
For gtkmm, this is basically the glibmm, pangomm, atkmm, gdkmm and gtkmm
DLLs."

I'm new to win32/cygwin world, and any suggestions/pointers to the
actial apps would be highly appreciated.

-- Vlad
Vladislav Grinchenko       http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/
                                 e-mail: 3rdshift comcast net

      Focus on quality, and productivity will follow.