TreeModel width

1) how can I set a min width of a single column tree model that is in a
scrolled window in a box?  I've tried to set the tree view column with no
effect - currently the column width is appearing much shorter than the
strings contained in the column - is the lack of a column header shrinking
the size?

row[memuColumns.col(0)] = "Display Entire Network";
menuTreeView.append_column(" ", menuColumns.col(0));
(menuTreeView.getcolumn(0))->set_min_width(150);  // no effect
menuTreeView.columns_autosize();   //no effect
menuWindow.add(menuTreeView);
mainBox.pack_start(menuWindow, Gtk::PACK_SHRINK);

thks
john