TreeModel selected row number

I cannot seem to figure out how to get the selected row number in a tree
model.  I am following the example framework and have:

Gtk::TreeModel::iterator iter = m_refTreeModel->get_iter(path);
if(iter) {Gtk::TreeModel::Row row = *iter;}

this gives me the "Row" and I can get any member of that row and I guess I
could use a member value and iterate thru the data to find the row number but
that seems the hard way - what am I missing ?
thks
John