GTKmm installation problems

Hello all,
        I am trying to install gtkmm-2.6.3 on my Red
Hat Fedora core 3 system. The following are the
dependent libraries i have installed:

GTK+ 2.6.8
libsigc++ 2.0.14
glib 2.6.4
atk 1.9.0
pango 1.8.0
glibmm 2.6.1.

But, i am getting this error even though the versions
of glibmm and gtk i have installed is 2.6.1 and 2.6.8,
respectively.

checking for GDKMM_CFLAGS...
checking for GDKMM_LIBS...
Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6.0' but version of GTK+ is
2.4.13
configure: error: Package requirements (glibmm-2.4 >=
2.6.0 gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6.0) were not met.
Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable if you

Alternatively you may set the GDKMM_CFLAGS and
GDKMM_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the
pkg-config man page for
more details.

i downloaded all the libraries as sources and used

1. ./configure --prefix=/usr
2. make
3. make install

what could be the reason and how do i rectify it?

Thanks for any help.
ananth