gtkmm and gcc 4.0

My experiences trying out gcc 4.0 vs 3.3.5 with gtkmm 2.6.1
1) some dialog classes compile as 1/2 the size
2) most classes have the same nasty looking warning on shared libraries
3) linking has the warning that gtkmm wants to use libstdc++ so.5 instead of libstdc++ so.6 (running gcc 4.0.1 Debian unstable) 4) one of my key programs segfaults with 4.0 - runs fine with 3.3.5 (have not tracked down why yet)

my initial conclusion: I've gone back to using 3.3.5 for now. Maybe switch to 4.0 on next program version with gtkmm 2.8. gcc 4.0 seems to have a big advantage on code size but since gtkmm relies on quite a few libraries, it might take a little while until all are pretty well compiled themselves under 4.0 and that all the latest versions are being used together (ie gtk just came out with 2.6.8, glib with 2.6.5 and I know I'm not using those yet).

This also points out a real practical problem in maintaining a stable gtkmm version on a developer's machine when the underlying shared libraries keep updating and I have yet to see anywhere on the web site specific version numbers as to what is tested with what.