Re: gtk+ and MS Windows

Foster, Gareth wrote:
Actually, I'm not distributing GTK+, only gtkmm. The GTK+ installer I recommend is the work of Ivan Wong, from the gladewin32 project.

Do you think the GTK+ site maintainers would listen to you if you asked them
to put up a page (with a disclaimer about 3rd party packages or something)
linking to these installers? I suppose links to glade# and PyGTK installers
would be good too, its all about maximising the use of GTK on Windows isn't
it?

This has already been discussed numerous times before. The point is : Tor Lillqvist does not want to "endorse" one installer in particular, and tag it as "official". I strongly believe this does not help in increasing the use of GTK+ on win32. However, I expect this situation to change in the near future as Tor is now working fulltime for Novell on his win32 port of GTK+. With the recent move from Trolltech toward a double licensing system for Qt on Windows, the GTK+ developers should definitively react quickly.

By the way, I know Ivan Wong is working on a native win32 port of dpkg from the debian world. Coupled to apt-get and a centralized repository for win32 GTK+ applications and libraries, this would help us enormously. Let's wait and see ....

Now, both my gtkmm and pygtk installers are mentioned on the gtkmm and pygtk pages respectively. They also should work with other third-party GTK+ distribution (like the one shipped with gimp on win32). So I suppose I will stay quite neutral here before things get a bit clearer.

Cedric