Re: AW: Attach invisible data to a TreeRow?

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 12:21 +0100, Marco wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:43:17 -0600, Paul Davis
> <pjdavis engineering uiowa edu> wrote:
>
> > Murray Cumming wrote:

> >> RefPtr is not meant to be a general-purpose smartpointer. I don't
> >> recommend using it with Widgets.
> >>

> > Unless I've completely misunderstood the entire memory managemeny scheme
> > used by Gtk, once you call Gtk::manage(), you release all control of
> > memory management to the library.  In other words, explicitly calling a
> > widget's destructor ( or implicitly via smart pointer reference counting
> > ) would be 'bad'.  I say 'bad' cause I'm not really sure what you'd run
> > into.

Deleting a managed _widget_ is normally OK. The container can detect
that and just remove the widget.

>   I imagine you'd start getting things like memory corruption
> > errors or those fun messages about freeing the same memory segment
> > multiple times.  Anyway, thats just how I had understood things.
> >
> > Paul
>
> manage() makes the container responsible for deleting the widget so it
> would not be usefull in a case where you temporarily want to remove the
> widget from its container.

Not necessarily. When you remove a managed widget then you are
responsible again. When you add it to a container again, then the
container is responsible.