Installing stable and development versions of gtkmm

I'm currently running Ubuntu Breezy with gtkmm 2.8 and I just do all
my development against this version.  Lately I've become interested in
playing around with some of the new Cairo stuff in gtkmm HEAD.  I'd
rather keep my Ubuntu gtkmm package if possible, so It'd be nice to be
able to install gtkmm CVS in parallel with the official package
somehow.  Does anybody else do something like this?  Is it easy to do?

My first thought was to build gtkmm from CVS using jhbuild.  Is this
the best way to do it?  Are there any basic instructions on how to
link with the correct version once it's installed?  Any issues to
watch out for?  Is cairomm added to the jhbuild moduleset yet?

Thanks,
Jonathon