Re: Equivalent to Xt translation manager (XtAppAddActions() etc.)?

Paul Davis wrote:

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 17:53 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

So how are the high-level widget signals (like item selection, button press etc.) implemented, then? Via lots of explicit tests etc. in event handlers? In Xt those were also defined via the translation manager, I believe...

i think you're mixing different things here.
No, I don't think I am. See below.

mouse button press is a low level X event. widget button press is a
fairly complex thing to handle, and it was complex in Xt as well.
however, its handled entirely by a GtkButton widget; it is rare that app
code has to deal with it unless the app is implementing a new button
widget type, which is unusual.
I never said it did. I was just trying to point out that Xt had generic code that would record those complex sequences of events, which obviously also made the widgets themselves easier to implement (*someone* also has to maintain the code for GtkButton, right?) in addition to being available to application programmers.

item selection is handled by explicit and complex code but only in the
base type of widget(s) that do such things. it does not need to be coded
over and over again.
Yes and no. I think there is something that has to be coded over again unless there is something like the translation manager, i.e. the actual recording of the event sequence.