Re: [gtkmm] cannot make gtkmm-2.2.12 (with MinGW for MSVC)

>It's a tad off topic for the list but I might as well repeat it.

except that its not correct ...

>The C++ ABI, although agreed, is still not implemented perfectly by all
>(any?) compiler(s). What that means in plain English is that you should
>build everything you wish to link together with the _same_ compiler and
>linker.

there is no C++ ABI. none has ever been specified by any standards
body, and Stroustroup is on record as opposing standardization of
things like name mangling precisely because it can act as the "canary
in a coalmine" of problems caused by mix-n-match use of compile tool
chains.

>The C ABI has been standard for a long time now so you can mix and match
>as you wish. Thus gtk+ is easier to use from a compilation point of view
>than gtkmm.

there is no C ABI either. a few companies (e.g. Intel) have tried to
define one for particular platforms, but that's about it. if you think
there is, you perhaps are not familiar with MS hacks like
__stdcall. Windows has at least two different C ABI's, although I
think that gcc for windows has been hacked to allow it to generate
either one. Not sure about that, however.

--p