Re: [gtkmm] Win32 development installation instructions

At 11:36 AM 3/10/2004, Robert wrote:

I'd appreciate any comment on the remarks below,  to make sure I've got
this right.

It seems to me that there are at least 4 different possible
configurations that people might mean when they loosely refer to
"cygwin" under Windows.

1.  The cygwin development environment which resembles a unix
environment in which you compile code containing POSIX calls and which
produces executables depending on cywin.dll for POSIX emulation.

Right. The advantage of this setup : Most unix tools and libraries compile out the box (when they are not already available direcly from the cygwin website). Problem: I think you have to make your code GPL, because of the cygwin dll.

2.  The cygwin environment as above with MinGW headers and libraries
installed in the cygwin environment.  Then using the gcc switch
mno-cygwin you compile code containing Win32 (but not POSIX) calls
and generate binaries that do not depend on cygwin.dll.

I have had many problems with this configuration. Last time I checked, C++ support was quite bad with -mno-cygwin. You also have to make sure that you never link against one of cyg*.dll.a import libraries. But I admit I haven't tested this configuration for a few months.

3.  The cygwin environment as above with the MinGW distribution
separately installed.  Instead of using cygwin's gcc,  you put the
MinGW distribution's bin directory on your path ahead of cygwin's.  Then
you use MinGW's compiler (with no mon-cygwin switch of course).  The
cygwin environment is now only a convenient set of unix command line
tools.

That's my current configuration and the one I use to build gtkmm and pygtk on win32. Works nicely for me with two drawbacks :

1. You have to be extra carefull with the way your define your various *PATH* variables (\ vs / and spaces in directories) and your mount points. 2. libtool support works but is really a mess (more on this later if somebody is interested).

4.  Cygwin is not installed.  MinGW is installed along with the MSys
command line tools.  This is like 3.,  except that the lighter weight
MSys tools are used instead of the Cygwin environment.

I don't like to have redundant installations.

In conclusion, I'll definitively have to test config 2 again.

Cedric