[gtkmm] Actions / UIManager and OO programming style

Hi!
I've been working for a while with the new UIManager/Action classes, but I have some difficulty in finding the "right" way of using them.

First of all, although I can connect a Button to an Action using connect_proxy(), it won't get the Icon specified by the Action. Neither can the Action create a button. It appears that it would be natural for Actions to provide the same support for Buttons as it does for MenuItems and ToolItems.

Second, Action doesn't have any useful public/protected constructors. This makes it impossible to subclass Action, which seems to me like a natural way of creating actions. The same goes with UIManager and other fairly recently added widgets such as TreeStore/ListStore (although they've been fixed since). IMHO, this rather discourages good OO programming style.

Any suggestions?

--
Christer Palm