Re: [sigc] Re: [gtkmm] libsigcx and gtkmm 2.4

Christer Palm wrote:
A few comments in addition to what Martin already wrote...

Daniel Elstner wrote:

When I thought about adding signal parameter support to Glib::Dispatcher
a while ago, I played with the idea of making Glib::Dispatcher provide a
low-level interface for sending raw blocks of memory through the pipe.
On top of that there could be some kind of plugin interface that
requires you to implement two functions that convert your data to raw
memory and back again.

Isn't this exactly what CORBA, for example, is all about?
While it

Whoops, it got chopped off... Here we go again.

While I think that this would be great for a inter-process or inter-network communication mechanism, I don't think it's a very good idea for inter-thread communication.

Serializing/deserializing is usually very inefficient and is also extremely hard to do in a C++ environment. You'd need to know how to marshal each and every class in the objects type as well as containment hiearchy. Leaving all this to the implementor of the top-level class will definitely break the basic OO principles, and will be bound to be very error-prone.

--
Christer Palm